Monday, June 8, 2009

Sunshine and shadow



“It was a long story, filled with sunshine and shadow.”

Today I unexpectedly fulfilled a childhood dream: visiting Laura Ingalls Wilder’s home. De Smet, Iowa is located 55 miles off I-80 but well worth the trip. At the site, $8 allows the visitor to drive a Conestoga wagon, make your own corncob doll, and see the home Laura lived in as a child.

The center also explains the Ingalls’ many travels. Now that I am nine days into my trip, it is a little less fun. My moderate frustrations, however, pales in comparison to the arduous journey a family travelling in the 1800’s faced. I breeze along the highway at 85/mph while they travelled 15-20 miles per day. At night, I have a comfy hotel room, rather than sleeping under the wagon.

Anyways, it was great to have a taste of pioneer life. If you ever find yourself on the way to the Corn Palace, do stop at the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

Followers