Sunday, June 7, 2009

Styx at first glance


I really don’t know where to begin. I have been in Iowa since Friday and there is much to recount.

I stayed in a little town called Lineville, named for its proximity to the Iowa-Missouri border. No cell phone reception, no internet, no Wall Street Journal – not even any Fox News.

Lineville, however, was not my original destination. I had planned to stay at the Nodyroc Hotel in Corydon, IA. After a brief but horrid encounter with insects in the bed, I decided to stay with our friend in Lineville, IA. Population: 300.

It is interesting to see what a town boils down to: a church, cemetery, school, gas station/convenience store, saloon, and diner. And that’s what I’d like to focus on in this post: what a teeny town in the sticks has to offer.

Though initially convinced I was in the Styx, a little humility took me a long way. The people are decidedly simple. They use cash instead of credit, own modest homes, and live day by day. In the restaurants, they don’t have TV’s. Instead, people sit and talk after dinner.

Though I am a confirmed city girl, it was refreshing to see this unique and simple lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

Followers